Alix dress // By Hand London

Monday, October 24, 2016


 Aaaaaaand she's here!! I'm sure you all know by the title, what I'm talking about! You've seen hints and teasers of her for quite a long time and the time has finally come. Let me properly introduce you to the lovely Alix! She is the newest addition to the By Hand London squad.

A beautiful design, inspired by the dreamy glamour of the '70s, featuring some pretty interesting details(V-neck yoke, inset waistband, billowing raglan sleeves, tie back belt and a full skirt, pleated at centre front and back). And her best feature? No zipper!! No type of closure whatsoever, no fiddling with installing it just right, no nerve-wracking stage, no cursing! Just slide it on and peruse your way through the day or night!  



The pattern comes with 3 variations( a maxi dress, a mini dress and a tunic), but of course you can play with the length to achieve your perfect version. The pattern recommends light to medium weight wovens, which I totally agree with, since you want to use something with a nice movement to it. 


 I made Variation 2, the mini dress. As I'm not a standard size, I graded from a 8/12 bust to a 10/14 waist and hips and the fit was pretty spot on. Other than that, I didn't make any alterations to the pattern, which was pretty amazing! I mean, even the length didn't need any fiddling with! Oh By Hand London ladies, how you cease to amaze me every time!

The pattern came together flawlessly and it was a fairly easy sew, which demanded just a little focus to get the details right. The instructions were nicely illustrated and really clear and easy to follow.


I used a soft drapey viscose fabric and paired it with thigh-high boots for the ultimate 70s vibe! It's possibly one of the most comfortable dresses I own.


*Disclaimer: I received this pattern from By Hand London patterns for free to test, but all opinions are my own. I sent feedback on the draft to the girls, which were included in the final pattern. I was not paid to test this pattern, and was given a free copy of the final pattern as compensation.*

You Might Also Like

0 comments