Sewing mojo....come back!

Sunday, April 17, 2016

picture
I recently went through a phase of sewing drought. I had ideas, I just couldn't find the motivation to make them happen. I hadn't touched my sewing machine for over a month. I missed sewing, but when it came to me actually sew something I couldn't find the focus to do it.

I thought I share with you the tips that helped me get my sewing mojo back:

1. Start slow

I always find that if you start with small, instant-gratification, quick projects, you are most likely to find your mojo. After my long period of sewing drought I started with a Grainline Linden Sweatshirt and a Named Beatrix crop top. These took absolutely no time and they gave me the push I needed to keep going.

2. Have patience

It's not gonna come in one day. And you most probably can't make a coat for your first project back from the sewing "coma". Start with small steps. Devote 15 minutes a day to your sewing, even if its just to sew a hem. 

3.Tidy your space

I find that I can't really function in a messy enviroment. I suggest you start by tidying up your sewing space first. We all know what a mess that can be, but it is so worth the fuss! After your space is tidy, you'll find the need to create something in it.

4.Find inspiration

Many people may find this strange, but the thing I enjoy most about sewing is the planning. I love browsing through Pinterest and Instagram for ideas and seeing what other fellow makers are creating. For you it could be a browse through the Internet, a read of your favorite sewing books/magazines or simply a stroll in the sun. 

5.Just do it

Stand up from the couch and start making. Worst case senario, you'll not like what you make. So what? Start again! The fun is in the making, right?


I hope you'll find these tips helpful. And please share whatever tips you have for getting your sewing mojo back after a long drought!

You Might Also Like

0 comments