Gerard coat

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Coat: self-made/ Blouse: Self-made/ Velvet leggings: Self-made/ Boots: H&M
I know I'm a little late posting this, with spring on its way and everything. But as always I made this coat around February,but didn't bring myself to take photos and post about it until recently. This is my Gerard coat by Republique du Chiffon, a french pattern company. I fell in love with this coat the moment I saw a version over at Jolies bobines! But with my non-existence French knowledge and my inexperience in outwear sewing I knew it wasn't really possible. So I waited patiently for the English translation and when it finally came I couldn't be happier. I was in search of a boyfriend coat for a long time now, but nothing I found was as I imagined or in the right(for me!) price. I made the Gerard in a size M with no alterations. I like the fit, but I would prefer for it to be a little more tailored on my shoulders. Does anyone have any advice on what can I do to make it more fitted on the shoulders? I used a grey wool for the outside and a black satin lining for the inside. I haven't sewed a button yet, because I haven't find something I really like. The coat came together rather smoothly, except some areas, like the lining, that I had to pay more attention and do some online research about how to sew it together. But that's only because of my inexperience in outwear sewing. I'm really happy with the outcome, especially since it's my first outwear garment of this type!

What do you think?  

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. whoa, this is pretty cool. i'd never heard of that pattern company before. i think it turned out great, love the slouchy look.

    by fitted in the shoulders do you mean having the shoulder line more on your natural shoulder, rather than sloped off? from the looks of the pattern co it seems like the off-the-shoulder look is what they're going for. you might have to re-draft the arm hole and sleeve cap. even if you don't change it I think the coat looks hip as it is. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these videos for showing easier ways to alter patterns. http://www.silhouettepatterns.com/html/media/livestreamchannel/index_replays.htm
    There's a lot to go through but it's all about sewing, what's not to love.

    ReplyDelete